Eric Fillion is a doctoral candidate in the Department of History at Concordia University. His research focuses on the origins of Canada’s cultural diplomacy and, more specifically, on the use of music in international relations. His thesis explores how race and empire informed the making of a musically imagined Canadian-Brazilian community between 1938 and 1968. This project builds on the experience he has acquired as a musician (he played drums and percussion for several Montreal-based groups) as well as on his ongoing study of Quatuor de jazz libre du Quebec, a separatist free jazz ensemble associated with the Quebec left of the 1960s and 1970s. He is also the founder and director general of Tenzier, a nonprofit organization, whose mandate is to preserve and disseminate archival recordings by Quebec avant-garde artists. An affiliate of the North American Cultural Diplomacy Initiative (NACDi), Eric Fillion is a member of Concordia University’s 2018-2019 Public Scholars cohort.
He is the recipient of a Keith Lowther Graduate Award, a Concordia University Graduate Doctoral Fellowship, a Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, and the 2017 Political History Prize (best French language article) awarded by the Political History Group of the Canadian Historical Association. In 2017, he completed a three-month research trip in Brazil with a Concordia Mobility Award and a Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement.
Email address: eric[@]ericfillion[.]org
(Encryption key: PGP)
Discography (Selected List)
– Pas chic chic. 12”. ℗ 2010. Semprini. LP.
– Land of Kush. Against the Day. ℗ 2009. Constellation. LP/CD.
– Pas chic chic. Au contraire. ℗ 2008. Semprini. LP/CD.
– Cobra noir. Barricades. ℗ 2006. Yellow Dog / Chainsaw Safety. LP/CD.
– Cobra noir. Abode of the Dead. ℗ 2005. Magic Bullet / Cyclop Media. LP/CD.
– The Black Hand. War Monger. ℗ 2002. Scorched Earth Policy / Chainsaw Safety. LP/CD.
– Ire. Adversity into Triumph. ℗ 1999. Ellington. CD.
– Ire. I Discern an Overtone of Tragedy in your Voice. ℗ 1998. The Mountain Collective. LP/CD.
– Ire. Split w/ Seized. ℗ 1996. Fetus / Spineless. LP.